Thanks to the intense lessons I had I could read and write, and I was pretty good in science and math courses when I went to college. They were very easy for me, but I did not do very well in government class because there were pages and pages to read. Psychology and history were the same, but in science and math I was good. In January I started junior college. I had the first test in biology and I got a C. I cried buckets. They told me, “A C, it’s not bad.,” but I was used to As. Eventually I was fine, but it took me quite a few years to be comfortable.

At the time, for medical technology, it was two years of college, one year of training and then you could go out and work. After college in Mason City, I went to St. Paul, Minnesota for my training. While I was there, my husband and I started exchanging letters and during spring break of our junior year we got married. After St. Paul, we both went to Mankato, Minnesota to get our bachelor’s degrees. I got mine in medical technology and he went on for a master’s in biology.

“One day the people I was training with told me the immigration people were there and wanted to talk to me.”

As a foreign student, I had to continue going to school or go back home. I remember when I left Mason City and went to St. Paul I didn’t realize I was supposed to let the immigration people know I moved. I worked at St. Joseph’s Hospital; it was an eight hundred bed Catholic hospital. One day the people I was training with told me the immigration people were there and wanted to talk to me. They were two very tall, intimidating people and one said, “You didn’t let us know you changed addresses.” But I didn’t know I was supposed to, so he said, “Okay fine, now we located you. Tomorrow you come to the office.” So I went down there, and nothing too bad happened so I was okay. As long as you were going to school you were fine, but when you stopped going to school you had to go back. Once I married my husband, who was an American citizen, the immigration people didn’t chase me anymore.