My father owns his own import and export business, giving us the opportunity to live comfortably, in reward for his hard work. My parents moved to West Africa from India where they originated from, for my father’s business. My parents raised us similar to how you would see most within Indian culture, and similarly western cultures. Having strict concise rules was expected, but necessary for how they wanted to raise us. My brother was the older, more mature brother, and I fully immersed myself within the role of being the baby in the family. The closeness to my brothekjmr was never really as prominent when we were younger in comparison to now. He was quieter and stuck to his schooling, always on the honor roll and truthfully I was not. I was the outspoken one who focused more on soccer, cricket, and tennis. My parents were strict when they needed to be, but they never made me feel any less when I struggled with things like school. They would always just tell me to work harder, and to use my brother as a resource, which I ultimately did. Mom was always home working around the house, while we would be at school. I became really close with my mom with my dad always working, never taking for granted what he was doing for me. My parents were very smart with their money, putting aside a lot for the betterment of me and my brother. When my brother began applying for schools, and gaining scholarships that really put this bullseye on my back from my parents to do the same in a couple years.

My brother and I went to an International School with a varied cultural background; Lebanese, Chinese, local Ghanaian, with the school being a British Standard Curriculum. I accredit most of my learning though to my parents, and the outside help they gave us. They were always helping with any kind of homework. This school gave me all my pre-collegiate education, mostly because the Ghanaian public schools were not represented well through things immersed within governmental funding. A lot of the same norms that I have seen within American culture are also seen within the area I was raised in, and fortunately to my benefit. Within the British curriculum you started with English right away, and the courses were very polished. Our main focus within school was math and computers mostly, working with things like excel and word and a young age. There was a lack in the reading and English courses, which I only really noticed affected me while I was taking the SATs attempting to come to the United States. IT and Mathematics were a standard way of living for a lot of the cultures within the community that I grew up so it made a lot of sense as to why those were the angles pursued in education. I never really wanted to follow the whole IT aspect of my someday career, my brother he completes that model to a T and it really works perfect for him.